Cyprus is an island of legends that basks year-round in the light of the warm Mediterranean sun. An interesting past spanning 10,000 years has seen civilizations come and go and the likes of everyone from Alexander the Great to Cleopatra stake their claim here - but then, people do tend to get possessive when faced with such beauty. Aphrodite made her home on Cyprus , and travellers throughout antiquity came here just to pay her tribute.
Today Cyprus is a modern country that effortlessly marries European culture with ancient enchantment. Here you will discover a compact world of alluring beaches and fragrant mountain peaks, vineyards studded with olive trees and ancient ruins that stir the imagination, plus citrus groves and old stone-built villages where sweet wine flows as freely as conversations at the local café.
Cyprus is a carefree place where a sense of timelessness is magnified by the kindness of the people.
Why Cyprus if you're thinking of combining medical tests or a medical procedure with a holiday?
- Cyprus is the southernmost island in the Mediterranean - hot in the summer months and delightfully mild during the UK's winter months; it offers a comfortable environment year-round
- There's very little pollution - the Cypriot shores are blessed with very clean water in which to bathe and the air quality is extremely good
- Many Cypriots speak English - a legacy of years of British rule
- In Cyprus, you drive on the left, as in the UK
- It's a safe, easily-accessible destination, served by both scheduled and charter airlines from all over the UK, so you can travel from an airport near to home
- There are endless possibilities for activities during your holiday, from gentle walks or golf to cycling, swimming, visiting ancient monasteries or mountain villages, and from cultural options to a wide range of adventure trips. Any family or friends accompanying you on holiday will find plenty to do - there's something to suit all tastes - and there are many relaxing options for those recuperating post-surgery, too
- The food is excellent, with plenty of fresh fruit and fish plus superb home-cooked Mediterranean dishes - both healthy and tasty
- High-quality Medical Services available in Cyprus
- Excellent medical infrastructure
- Well-equipped, technologically-sophisticated hospitals and clinics
- Highly-qualified specialist consultants, doctors, nurses, and technical staff
- Speedy consultation, test results and treatment - no waiting lists
- Familiarity with the UK medical system - many Cyprus-based consultants and doctors have been trained in the UK or in other English-speaking countries
- Very high standards of hygiene
- Consultants, doctors and nursing staff all speak English fluentlyNatural Attractions
- Cyprus offers a relaxed, peaceful environment
- Exchange the noise and bustle of the UK 's crowded cities for the peace and tranquillity of relaxing, get-away-from-it-all Cyprus
- The island is relatively sparsely populated - well under a million people on an island the size of Devon and Cornwall combined, but with just half the population of these two counties.
- Blue-sky vistas and views of calm, brilliant-blue seascapes are therapeutic in themselves
- Cyprus enjoys over 300 days of sunshine - a real tonic.
- There are many natural wonders in a compact area – from the pine-scented mountains of the Troodos region to the rocks where, legend has it, Aphrodite was born
- Rich history, vibrant culture - Cyprus has been invaded many times and each visiting nation has left its mark - from Roman mosaics to beautiful Byzantine churches.
- Breathtaking landscapes - from the national park of the Akamas peninsula, with its nesting turtles and wild flowers to the beautiful national park of Cape Greco .
- Food and wine to indulge the senses
- Cypriot hospitality is renowned; the ease of communication with local people adds to the overall feeling of relaxation and welcomeAccommodation - for your partner/family and for you, post-medical procedure
For further information on Cyprus in general please visit the website of the Cyprus Tourism Organisation.