You’ve probably heard the word wellness being used as it’s become quite fashionable lately, but do you really know what it means and how it relates to your health? There really is no one set definition for what wellness actually is, but it encompasses many things. It’s about making the right life choices to ensure that both your body and your mind remain well. A healthy body and a happy mind are the goals of anyone looking to pursue wellness, and of course, they are goals that all of us would love to achieve.
Health and wellness are directly connected
While good health generally refers to our physical condition, wellness covers a greater scope including our mental health and our overall feeling of well being. Wellness focuses on our emotional health as much as it does the good health of our bodies and this is important.
While you focus on curing or preventing ailments, or keeping your body fit and healthy, we can often neglect the emotional side of things. Your health will certainly improve if your mind is positive and you are not stressed. Stress has been linked to many major illnesses and heart attacks and strokes. Being emotionally well will go a long way towards speeding up recovery from an illness or an operation.
All round health is so important
So you can see how looking after your health is about more than simply taking the right pills, eating the right diet or getting plenty of exercise, and wellness brings in those extra aspects of all round health that we need to be aware of.
How to boost your physical wellness
Here are some simple steps towards ensuring you’re doing all you can for your physical wellness…
- Take regular exercise, choose an exercise you enjoy and you’re more likely to stick to it
- Give up smoking
- Keep alcohol consumption low
- Reduce your intake of unhealthy fats, salt and sugar
- Eat a balanced diet with a rainbow of fruit and vegetables
- Get plenty of quality sleep
- Don’t put off getting medical advice if you feel something is wrong with your body
How to boost your emotional wellness
Your emotional state will reflect in your physical health, so in order to ensure your emotional wellness levels are high, follow these important steps…
- Take time to listen to your emotions and analyse how you feel and why you feel that way
- Accept that emotions are all part of life, no matter whether they are negative or positive
- Try to be positive and appreciate all that is good in your life
- Put effort into building relationships and keeping them strong
- Put a smile on your face and you’ll feel happier on the inside too
- Be sure to get plenty of sleep
- Take time out, all work and no play reduces your emotional wellness
- Don’t be scared to ask for help
- Talking can be very beneficial
- Be a good listener
Cyprus – the perfect destination for a wellness break
Sometimes a break is the most perfect remedy for our bodies and minds and Cyprus is the ideal destination. Fantastic healthy food, so many opportunities for exercise, a wonderful climate, stunning views for meditative moments and a slower pace of life. To discover more of the health benefits of a trip to Cyprus visit our website.